NOTE: These steps are for NEW installations only. If you are updating an existing Burli Newsroom system, please see here.
Burli provides detailed installation instructions with its software. Please see the Installation Guide, electronic and hard copies of which ship with your Burli software. If you are having trouble with these instructions, please contact Burli support.
To install Burli you will need the Burli-supplied Software and hardware keys.
The basic steps to installing the software are:
- Determine the Root Path
Before you start installing any of Burli’s software you will need to choose a root path. The root path is the place where Burli data is collected, stored and maintained for the network.
- Attach the Hardware KeysLocal HASPSSome Burli installations choose to attach a hardware key (HASP) to each computer. In this case the drivers, configuration and passwords for these computers are part of the standard software Burli installation.Network HASPSOther installations choose the NetHASP option where one HASP controls many computers on the network. A NetHASP installation requires a special driver be installed on the one computer that will have the NetHASP attached. See instructions included with the software for details.
- Install the Software on the Server
Run the special installer for the server machine (sometimes called Root Path computer).
- Install the Software at every Workstation
Run the provided workstation installer at every workstation, including capture machines, on-air machines and all journalists’ workstations. Dedicated file servers can (but do not have to) have this software installed.
- Configure the Root Path at each Workstation.
You will need to point each copy of Burli to the root path. Run Burli on the workstation and open the set-up area by choosing Config|Setup from the menu or by pressing Shift-F8. In the space provided, enter the primary root path. You can either use a mapped drive letter, if this is already set up, or the full UNC path. Be sure to restart Burli as instructed when done.
- Test your Installation
Launch Burli at all workstations. Try writing a story at any one of them and dragging it to the In-Queue. If your installation has been successful, the story should appear in the In-Queue of all workstations.
With the software installed, you will now need to configure the rest of the system. Features that will need some configuration are listed below. This website includes configuration instructions for all of them.
Manually Installing Burli on a Windows 7 or 8 workstation
- Click on Start -> type UAC -> Open User Account Control -> move the slider all of the way down and reboot
- Install the HASP Drivers (HaspUserSetup.exe) and plug in the USB HASP. The HASP will be detected and the device will be added to Windows.
- Create a C:\Burli directory (or copy one from another PC)
- Copy StartApp.exe and Burli.exe to the C:\Burli directory
- Create a shortcut on the Desktop to StartApp.exe and rename it “Burli”. For Windows 7, put the shortcut in the “Public” desktop. That folder may be hidden by default so you may have to change the Folder Options to see that folder.
- Run the new Shortcut and go to Config -> Program Setup and on the Data tab change the Root Path to your Burli Server
- Restart Burli
- Install Apple QuickTime (http://www.apple.com/ca/quicktime/download/)
- Install the Burli QuickTime DLL (BurliQuicktimeDLLInstaller-188.8.131.52a.exe)
- Copy the \SpellCheck folder to the local C:\Burli\Drivers folder